< DevJump to navigation Jump to search
Your support makes
all the difference!
We believe security software like Kicksecure needs to remain open source and independent. Would you help sustain and grow the project? Learn more about our 10 year success story and maybe DONATE!
Factory Reset, Stateless Systems, Reproducible Systems, Verifiable Systems, Clear Linux, NixOS, Fedora Silverblue
A problem with Debian and Debian based Linux distributions is that these are not stateless.
Files shipped by the distribution and files created by the user are mixed up in the same folders
/var on Debian will break the system and render it unbootable.
- It is difficult (impossible?) to factory reset, i.e. to reset a machine to the same state as everyone else using the same version.
- It is difficult (impossible?) to choose to have a boot without any user modifications.
- It is difficult (impossible?) to generate an overview of all user created configuration changes.
- It is difficult (impossible?) to generate an overview of derivative distribtion created configuration changes.
- It is difficult (impossible?) to safely / fully downgrade / rollback upgrades.
- It is more dangerous to upgrade.
Work towards stateless:
- search term:
site:nixos.org stateless -discourse
Unfinished: This wiki is a work in progress. Please do not report broken links until this notice is removed, use Search Engines First and contribute improving this wiki.