A comprehensive record of the development and milestones of Kicksecure.
Brief Kicksecure History
Kicksecure originated under the name, reflecting its initial focus on security-hardening the Debian system. It underwent a brand evolution to become known as .
- 11 January 2012
- Whonix™ (formerly TorBOX), an operating system with a focus on anonymity and security, is created. This marks the beginning of the journey that would eventually lead to the conception of Kicksecure.
- 15 September 2018
- The world is introduced to initial announcement.  The founder of Whonix™, with a nine-year (at time of writing) history of safeguarding users, also lays the groundwork for Kicksecure. through an
- 11 August 2019
- A dedicated domain,  , is secured for the project.
- 19 September 2019
- An initial testers-only version of Kicksecure is released on the Whonix™ forums for VirtualBox users. 
- November 2021
- The official  website goes live, marking a significant step in the project's public outreach.
- 22 October 2022
- The first testers-only version of Kicksecure is released on its own dedicated website. 
- Day Month Year
- Plans for the first ISO testers-only release of Kicksecure are underway, signaling another key development milestone.
Relationship between Kicksecure™ and Whonix™
Kicksecure™ is an operating system designed with a focus on security by default.
Whonix™, on the other hand, prioritizes both anonymity and security by default.
Despite Whonix™ being the predecessor, Kicksecure™ was established by the same individual who founded Whonix™.
Chronologically, Whonix™ was introduced before Kicksecure™. However, in terms of the software stack, Whonix™ builds upon the foundation of Kicksecure™. It is technically "based on" Kicksecure™, not vice versa.
The phrase "based on" is used here to describe the technical framework rather than the historical timeline. Since Kicksecure™'s core focus is security, it serves as a more streamlined base to which additional features (such as anonymity) can be added. This modular approach ensures that Kicksecure™ maintains a clean and secure baseline, which can be expanded upon by Whonix™ to integrate further privacy features.
Conceptually, Kicksecure™ was engineered as an independent project with no technical dependencies on Whonix™. This design philosophy allows for a conceptual understanding where Kicksecure™ could be seen as the foundational layer, with Whonix™ acting as an extension or "add-on" that incorporates anonymity features on top of Kicksecure™'s secure base.
- Additional verification may be needed to confirm this date.
- Whois request for kicksecure.com
- Kicksecure on Whonix Forum
- Wayback Machine: kicksecure.com snapshot